Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Default toilet tank float

I think thats what I do have (well the Kohler version of it). The
float is a black ring around the fill pipe that rises with the water
and turns off the water by turning off the supply via a switch at the
top. The problem is, the floats starts out rising with the water but
then gets "stuck" until its nearly submerged, then is shoots up to
where it should be, and gets stuck again and bobs , this second bobbing
turns off the water VERY quickly causing the pipes to shake. I have
drained the water and moved the float up and down its entire run and I
can't feel any sticking point at all. My first guess was the float has
a leak or something. The assembly seems cheap (10-15 dollars) but
what's involved to install it? Do you think a new one will fix the
problem? Shouldn't the float move up evenly (as the water does).
Thanks in advance!!!