Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Default toilet tank float

I have a toilet (Kohler) that has a float instead of the ball on the
stick (I know.... I have no idea the real terms). The problem is the
float seems to have an issue rising as the water rises. In other
words, the float starts to rise once it gets about 1/4 submerged, but
then stops rising and gets about 3/4 submerged, then shoots back up to
about 1/4 submerged and so on. This causes the water to shut off
instantly on one of the quick shoot ups (causing water hammer). I have
drained the tank and the float seems to travel up and down without any
sticking points. Do the floats wear out? If so, can I simply buy a
new float, or do I need to get a new water setup (again, no idea the
real term).