Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.homepower
wmbjk

Default Efficient European clothes dryers

On 25 Nov 2005 11:30:10 -0500, wrote:

http://www.crosslee.co.uk/cl847.html

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d..._BID_Stores_IT

Further info:

Declared/published performance of the 847 A Class machine is:
With test conditions as stipulated in EN 61121- European standard.
Dry cotton load = 5kg, Room temperature 20C
Energy to dry the above load in A class mode = 2.5 kWh
Wetted condition of test load = 70% so 3.5kg of water or 7.7 lbs
Time to dry the test load under these conditions = 8hrs.

Please note that modern washing machines spin dry at higher spinning speeds
than when the standard was written so better performance can be expected...

... 2.5kWhx3412/7.7lb = 1108 Btu/lb. Given the long drying time, this might
be vented indoors... 7.7/8 = 0.96 lb/h, so it would only raise the indoor
humidity ratio of an average house in Phila with 224 cfm of air leakage in
January to 0.0025+0.96/(60x224x0.075) = 0.00345, ie 22% RH at 70 F.

But is there a non-heat-pump machine that dries with less than
1000 Btu/lb of electrical energy, like an indoor clothesline?

Nick

I can't answer your question, but since we're on the topic, for
interest I just monitored one of our typical laundry loads.

Machine is a Splendide 2000, vented model. Capacity advertised at 5kg
washing, 3kg washing/drying. Set for regular wash, warm/cold, high
spin, half heat, 30 minutes drying.

Load was a mix of shirts, T-shirts, hand towels, washcloths, socks and
underwear. 5lb according to an electronic bath scale which is too
crude for the purpose. IMO the machine would be quite happy with a 50%
larger load. But since my wife disagrees and I don't need any more
chores... ;-)

Assuming I didn't miss anything (I didn't stand over it the whole
time), it filled once and spent about 45 minutes washing. In this mode
it spends about 12 seconds turning one way, rests for 5, reverses.
About 180W while turning according to a KillaWatt, on which the
display never really stabilized due to the constantly changing
consumption.

After the wash cycle, the machine drains and refills for rinse, short
wash action, drains and spins for a short time. Repeats, two rinses
total.

Next it enters spin mode, perhaps 10 minutes of various tumbling, spin
speed ramp-up and pumping. Power consumption tops out at about 400W
until it goes into scary-spin mode, about 500W steady for another 10
minutes.

70 minutes to this point, .21kWh. Removed clothes and weighed, about
1.5lb gain. Too wet to hang up IMO. Clothes would probably drip, and
dry crispy.

Replaced clothes for drying, 700W steady for 20 minutes. Vent air is
very gentle flow, barely warmer than room air. Last 10 minutes is by
design tumbling with heat off. Consumption down to about 100W when
drum is turning, about 150W with pump combined.

Total time 1:45. Total consumption .45kWh. No detectable weight loss
since spinning, but my scale was too useless to tell. Clothes were
definitely drier though, plenty dry enough to hang up. Shirts clammy
but wearable in a pinch on a summer day. Although I'm sure that any
self-respecting yuppie would leave them in at least another half hour.

Wayne