Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default My new TV has 3 dead pixels...

Matthew Long wrote:
Just had a 32inch standard (not LCD/Plasma) Toshiba widescreen delivered
this weekend. All seemed fine, but I switched it on this morning, and after
watching it for a bit, I noticed 3 dead pixels.

How common is this? Are there likely to be more die? To be honest, they're
not really that noticeable, but when I think about it, I look straight at
the area where one is, and will notice them! Especially on white back
grounds.

So is a TV worth taking back over 3 dead pixels? If it was small enough to
take back to the shop, then I'd think yes, but it's getting the day off
work, to wait for the delivery of another one!

What are peoples thoughts on this? Or am I being very fussy!?

Matthew Long

Odd, I've never seen dead pixels on a CRT, must be some debris in the
shadow mask, or holes that didn't get fully etched. It's very unlikely
for more to develop, if it doesn't bother you just leave it alone, if it
does, you may be able to return it but it might not be worth the effort.
Personally I think the dead pixels would drive me nuts if they're in the
center portion of the screen, around the edges or corners I wouldn't
care as much.