Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default New Lathe or upgrade?

Looking for advise out there on what to do with my lathe.
About 3 years ago I purchased a Nova 3000 without variable speed. I
have regretted it ever since. I sure do get tired of moving the belt
to change speed. I am also thinking of buying the outboard toolrest
offered by Nova. I somtimes would like to turn larger than the 14
inches dia. I can now turn. I have held out buying the outboard
toolrest thinking I may just may upgrade to a new lathe. Should I
upgrade this lathe with a DC motor for variable speed and outboard
toolrest or invest that money in a new and better lathe?

I should add that I almost never turn large chunks of wood, which would
be out of balance when you start to turn. I do mostly segmented turning
and purchased blocks of wood.

Bob Cook