Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default 17th century pearwood dyeing process?

I have heard that soluble iron compounds as in fertilizer products used
to correct iron deficiency in ornamental plants will work. I tried a
product that was labelled 4.50% soluble iron as sulfate. Didn't say
ferric or ferrous, but it didn't work for me. Bad chemistry (not the
oxide) or just too weak? Probably pure and stronger stuff is available
at pharmacies or farm suppliers.
I know acetic acid is.

Remember that some steel wools are greasy, so probably best to pre-treat
with 50% Kirkland LDD and rinse. Avoid garlic vinegar; probably not a
good mix with the fruity smell of pearwood.

Maybe like black pearls, ebonized pearwood is prized over the bland.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter