Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

Default Clearing out the crap about the quality of Ridgid tools

Hi Greg.
I'm a pro and use power tools on a daily basis. Although I'm not
completely brand loyal, I tend to buy more Bosch tools lately and have been
very pleased with them. I have on occasion in the past purchased Ridgid
power tools and my experience has been that you get more bang for the buck
factor, but less on the quality side. For example, about 3 1/2 years ago I
went to HD to purchase a DeWalt 12" MS. At the store, I also looked at the
Ridgid 12" MS and for the same money, the Ridgid came with a nice stand and
supposedly had a "lifetime warranty", so I came home with the Ridgid. I was
pleased with it for a while, but things went south pretty quickly and the
lack of quality became apparent. I should have stuck with the DW, they are
tried and true. Same went for their big 5" ROS. It got returned and
replaced with the Bosch, which I love. Today, my opinion of Ridgid tools is
still being right on par with Ryobi quality, hobbiest to semi-pro
rea. --dave

"Greg D." wrote in message
I'd like to clear out the crap about Ridgid tools. It seems that a
while ago, Ridgid tools weren't any better than Craftsman or Ryobi.
Unfortunately, I'm not too aware of the previous line of products
because Home Depot opened up in Canada not long ago.

On the other hand, they introduced a new line of powertools recently
and based on my first impression, they look much better. In fact,
their hammerdril, jig saw and their 6" ROS is made by Metabo in
Germany. There's no crap here as far as I'm concerned.

Same thing for their line of nailers which seems to be very well done
and comparable to PC if not better.

Their miter saws look very decent, as well as other tools like their
impact drivers and cordless drills.

What's your opinion on their line of product? Pro, semi-pro or
hobbyist quality?

Thanks,

Greg D.