Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

Default T5 vs. T8 fluorescent lights

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:51:20 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Ricky Robbins wrote:

I'm also looking to light a shop (24 X 25 X 8' ceiling), and in reading
an article on workshop lighting, it suggested 80-100 fc for old fogies
(40+) like myself for a woodworking shop.

snip

The 8' ceiling is the controlling factor in the above application.

Use 1 watt per square foot for 100 FC maintained.

Don't know where you came up with that number, but it sounds golden and
looks to solve my own lighting questions. I'm in a basement with a 7'
ceiling so I should be fine with anywhere from 1/2 w / sq ft (~50 fc?)to
the full watt (slightly greater than 100 fc).

Right?

Bill