Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

Default Clearing out the crap about the quality of Ridgid tools

In article ,
Greg D. wrote:

What's your opinion on their line of product? Pro, semi-pro or
hobbyist quality?

I can only comment on what I have experienced and a few observations
around me.

I find their line of tools very uneven. A few winners and a few losers.
I see a lot of Ridgid cordless drills around when I install one of my
solid surface countertops. Cabinet installers, by and large, are a
either a fussy bunch on a bunch of 'rammers. My countertops tend to go
to a more 'quality' product. Ridgid has disappointed me lately with
their laminate trimmers and belt sander.

I always ask questions when I'm out in the field, especially from those
installers I have worked with since 1976. Ridgid runs hot and cold there
too.

I don't think there is a single brand which wins across the board
(keeping pricing out of the discussion for now). Big hitters like
Festool, Metabo, AEG, Milwaukee all have a few pieces which make me
wonder why they bothered.

Then there are those brands who hit a few high notes (The Makita Sliding
mitre saws come to mind..everybody I know who has them love them..)
Makita has a few other decent tools as well. I see their 3 1/4" electric
hand planers everywhere. ( I bought a Ryobi 3 1/4" planer. Came with
spare carbide blades, in a case, and the only one with some hope to hook
a vacuum up to it. It does the job for me (sleeps in the van) when I
don't feel like lugging my antique Porter Cable VersaPlanar around.

The bulk of my stuff is Milwaukee, with a smattering of Festool and Fein
tossed in. Oh.. and before I forget... I have a Ridgid jobsite tablesaw
R2400? I'm very pleased with it and I'm aware of its limitations. I'm
happy with the 6" ROS as well...that has got to be 'The Find' of the
last couple of years.

But...when you factor in cost/value...the whole thing rearranges itself .