Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

Default HF 2hp DC ... and the CFM is?

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 23:47:37 -0600, Greg O wrote:

My guess is 800 CFM, maybe 1000 CFM with no hose, and on a leap year. Most
companies are wishing when it comes to CFM numbers for their dust
collectors anyway!
I have a HF 2HP, (Sears HP), dust collector. Hooked up to my 6" Jet
jointer and my Delta table saw at the same time with 2 - 4" hoses it does
a wonderful job of sucking up chips, don't know why your experience will
be any different!
Greg

Out of the exit side of the planer, very little is escaping. But
there is a build up occuring at the entrance side.

I'm still getting dust on the top side with my zero clearance insert on
my Craftsman 10" TS. Little to no dust seems to be escaping elsewhere.

I have a "trash can cyclone" atop a 55 gal fiber drum. While Bernoulli and
I are not on a first name basis, I don't think that the additional
volume in the system (vs the recommended 30 gal. can) would make any
difference after a moment of sucking up the additional idle air. My joints
are tight. On the TS I closed up the gaping hole at the back by covering
it about 50% with duct tape. I could not find a pre-manufactured port for
the planer so I blocked off the existing exit with a scrap of plexiglas
(kinda cool to watch the chips swirling up!) and cut a 4" hole in the top
plate (entering the exit chute) to which I riveted a 'universal' 4" port.
I am only running one machine at a time.

The only 'ugliness' that I can come up with so far is the use of
corrugated hose. But even there, the max run so far is 20' of heavy duty
(non-collapsing) hose. This would induce turbulence and reduce the flow
SOMEwhat ... but would it be enough?

Are my expectations for a DC too high?

I'm asking that in all seriousness.

Bill