Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Killian

Default $200 Harbor Freight Bandsaw Review

I learned the hard way to never let these saws run unattended. Mine
stalled (blade had a few broken teeth) when I was in another room and
the motor kept spinning the belt on the stuck pulley. It got hot enough
to melt the plastic belt guard, and clouds of acrid smoke were billowing
out when I walked into the room. Another minute or two and I'm sure it
would have caught fire. The China-crap motor on mine survived though,
and it's still cutting metal.

David Billington wrote:
I have a 4x6 from MachineMart in the UK which I would expect comes from
the same sources. They are not known for selling the highest quality
items but its horses for courses. It has done a lot of work so the £170
it cost delivered was money well spent.

I had the motor on mine burn out after it stalled while unattended, I
was in another part of the workshop at the time. Whatever burns in those
certainly would make a good chemical weapon as I couldn't get near it
for the smell which would make your eyes water. The motor had upto that
time done about 6 years good service.