Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Default UK question: ES light bulb better than bayonet?

asalcedo wrote:

I understand your point. The fact though is that the wobble is more
like a free rotation, like a pendulum, rather than a damper.

My thinking about it goes like this: even if you rest the inspection
lamp (bulb) carefully horizontally, just the weight of the bulb will
make it swing within the BC fitting. If the bulb was swung on the other
side this translates into a meaningful impact.

Let us say that there is no rotational friction in the bayonet, in this
case, the tip of the bulb falls (rotates) with close to a 1g
aceleration.

When you rest the inspection lamp in normal working conditions you
don't drop it, perhaps 0.3g deceleration. Thus a BC bulb can get 1.3
deceleration versus only 0.3g for a ES bulb.

Yes, I see your point now. It did briefly cross my mind as I hit the
send button, but the whisky slowed my fingers down, just enough not to
stop me hitting the send button :-)

Dave