Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Banty

Default Cathedral ceiling or 2nd floor unused room

In article . com,
says...

"It's wasted space that could be used for storage and/or extra
insulation. Cathedral ceilings are not even remotely practical. "

If you take that approach, there are lots of other things that are
routinely used to make a house attractive that people should avoid
because they are not practical. Like more windows and larger windows
to make the house more open and light. Or higher ceilings to make a
room look and feel larger. And who says that the attic space would be
used anyway? There are many homes with attic space that has never and
will never be used, but could easily be turned into a cathedral
ceiling. I did that very thing in my home. I already have more than
enough storage space, as do most reasonable size new homes being built
today. The cathedral ceiling made a dramatic difference in my family
room, making it open and inviting, a place where I enjoy spending time.

Most people want a home that is attractive and inviting to live in, not
a super energy efficient one with extra storage space.

Yep.

There are advantages and disadvantages to either; what is right depends on the
house and what the owner wants.

The way to go astray is to worry about what the next owner wants. Don't go
building someone else's house for oneself to live in.

Banty