Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solidering #6 Wires Together

On 26 Nov 2005 22:11:58 -0800, "TURTLE" wrote:

Toller wrote:
"TURTLE" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is Turtle.

now before i start telling this even. i did not do it or will i ever do
it. With this clear i will speak.

i was looking a air handler for a HVAC customer and he run the electric
service hisself to the air handler and when he got to the A/H with the
wire was about 6 feet short to get there. So he just got another piece
of wire and SOLIDERED the # 6 -2 with ground Wire set together to
complete the circuit to the A/H. I know this is illegal here in out
local code but i can't find it in the NEC for not having a new copy.

So how bad is solidering # 6 copper wire for high amp draw in a slice
joint?

Soldering is legal, but the joint cannot depend on it. If you want to
solder wires before clamping them together it is fine, as long as the clamp
would be adequate without the solder.
Presumably it is in a box, no?

This is Turtle.

No it is in mid air in a closet !

No Clamp !

Just twisted , solidered together , and wrapped with electric tape.

It was done by a local country boy Sparkey with NO licences and told
him solidering it was just fine.

TURTLE

Personally, I'd contact the local inspectors. That's just plain
dangerous. I dont like causing people trouble with the law, but in
this case its for their own good,