Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self

Default Update on a previous post on the Delta Hybrid Saw (36-717)

Mark & Juanita wrote:
On 26 Nov 2005 20:42:50 -0800, wrote:

There is a high-end retailer of woodworking equipment here in SE
Michigan, a place that actually assembles their showroom equipment
"professionally" because they know it reflects well on the equipment if
it looks like it all fits together.

I was in there this past week getting some fingerprints on their stuff,
and they had a bright shiny Delta 36-717 on display. This is one of
the new hybrid saws Delta was eight months behind schedule bringing to
market.

Someone recently posted a question regarding this saw, and not many
people replied with answers.

Well, based on the store owner's answers, I can tell you Delta's long
march down the Black and Decker drain is well on its way.

He said the assembly of the saw was a nightmare. The fence didn't fit
at all...he had to tap all new holes in the wings to get it onto the
saw. He also said none of the rest of it went together right at all
either. One bad fit after another...an excersize in frustration.

His words, his experience verbatim.

Who here thinks Delta can save themselves?

Sounds like an opportunity for a dealer to start stocking NOS (new old
stock) Delta parts and for manufacturers to start exploring the possiblity
of building OEM-spec replacement parts for the real iron that Delta used to
build.

As for the Delta brand, given all the commentary given here, including
the thread on no longer stocking old parts -- it looks like they are intent
upon following the path of Craftsman --

In all fairness, and to stick with hybrid saws, I got a Craftsman
hybrid last year. With one exception, it went together easily,
everything fit, and it has served for about 15 months without a glitch.
The exception was the rear extension table arm, and that was as much my
fault as anything: I had one of those days when I could have tipped a
child's alphabet block to show the correct letter.

Of course, that saw was designed by a bunch old Delta hands...