Posted to rec.woodworking
Tyke

Default HF 2hp DC ... and the CFM is?

I think you should consider CFM (which is a rating at the entrance nozzle of
the DC, namely no pressure drop for the line) and head (how much suction).

It is not possible to connect our tools to the DC without using some
connection line which results in pressure drop. Different models have
different designs resulting in different Flow vs head curves. Cheaper units
tend to drop off CFM more as pressure drop in the line increases.

This is one reason why smaller micron bags are recommended - they lower
pressure drop which provides for increase in flow.

The good manufacturers post their performance curves. Do not hold your
breath to find HF's curves.

There are many good DC's on the market. For my recent purchase I went with
a model with the "cannister filter" a pleated fabric inside a steel cage.
Works great and easy to clean. These units have a plastic bag on the bottom
since there is so much surface area in the cannister they do not need the
botttom bag to be porous. This means I can now see when to empty the bag.

I upgraded from a 3/4HP to a 2 HP unit. The old 3/4HP was adequate, but the
2 HP unit is much better - increase in flow and head.

Dave Paine.

"W Canaday" wrote in message
news
I have a fantasy and I'm willing to share it with the select few who visit
this news group.

Ready?

In my fantasy I fire up my DC (hummmmm) and then I walk over to my planer
and switch it on (whirrrr). I set the table and feed in a piece of rough
looking lumber and out the other end comes nothing but a satiny smooth
board.

No chips, no dust ... just dimensioned and surfaced lumber.

I told you it was a fantasy.

I recently bought the afore-mentioned DC. Although I have NO clue how I'm
going to slide this past SWMBO, now I want to know the CFM's of the DC I
currently own so I can make a better estimate of the CFM's I'll need on
its replacement.

That number is not on the website, in the documentation that came with it,
or on any of the stickers affixed to it. In other words, Central Machinery
would rather I not know.

It's late night Saturday as I write this and I really doubt if I'll get
anything except either a recording or a moron at their 1-800 tech
assistance number.

But maybe one of you might be able to offer a reasonable guess (or even
offer up the correct number!)

TIA

Bill