Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

Default T5 vs. T8 fluorescent lights

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
Lew Hodgett writes:

Things like inital cost, power costs, winter time temperatures, become
signficant issues.

The very first one you want to address is temperature since light output
is so temperature dependant.

The shop will be fully insulated, heated, and cooled. Temps will be kept
at 45 to 50 degrees in the winter.

I definitely want T8 fixtures with electronic ballast. 4' or 8' is the
real question. The 8' fixtures are more than twice as much as 4' fixtures
from what I have found to date.

Brian Elfert

Double check price and availability of bulbs Brian. Not to say they're not
available, but which is more convenient, more common, cheaper, etc.?

One consideration I found worthwhile with the 4 foot fixtures is that I can
turn off fixtures I don't always need. Mine all have chain pulls on them.
For normal garage lighting I might get by on only half of my lights. Easy
to turn off the ones I don't want and still maintain the ease of hitting the
wall switch to light the bay to the normally needed amount of light.

BTW - did I tell ya that my freakin' garage is *bright* now?

--

-Mike-