Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Default Leaking Valves

wrote:

I am trying to replace the shut off valves for the kitchen faucet. I
am using the compression type valve that connects to a copper stub
pipe. This has a thin copper or brass ring that fits over the stub.
It keeps dripping. I have tightened it to the point that the ring has
broken.
Any advice or tips on the proper techniques for this type of fitting?

Thanks

FWIW, I always use some emery cloth to clean the pipe first and (despite
what it might say on the packaging) I use a small amount of pipe joint
compound. It's important to have a square end on the pipe and to push
the valve on until it seats. It shouldn't be necessary to use
excessive force.

But I don't claim any special expertise in this area, so others might
tell you differently. Just because it works for me ... YMMV.