Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default 30 amp from two 15 amp breakers

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey All - got a question about something thats been bugging me tonight
(dont worry im *not* going to do this, im just interested to know if
its possible).

Is there any difference between a 30 amp breaker (2 hots, one out of
each pole of the breaker), and two 15 amp breakers, one hot coming out
of each?

ie, if you wired a 30 amp plug, would both of the above equate to the
same thing?
What problems would arise, etc?

Yeh, there are three differences.
1) A 30a 240v breaker (I think that is what your are referring to) puts out
30a 240v. Your pair of 15a 120 breakers put out either 15a 240v or 30a 120v
(or even 0a 0v) depending on how your circuit was.
2) The 240v breaker will trip both sides simultaneously; the pair of 120v
breakers won't.
3) The 240v breaker can't be put in the circuit box stupidly (see previous
question); the pair of 120v breakers can.

Don't use the 120v breakers for 240v.
And if you have to ask this question, thing about whether you really want to
do this project yourself.