Posted to rec.woodworking
hylourgos

Default Is glue safe for cedar plank on the BBQ?

wrote:
On 26 Nov 2005 18:42:27 -0800, "hylourgos" wrote:

No, aromatic is the way to go. Lot's of restaurants and suppliers will
give you the Western, but I suspect it's because they don't know the
difference and opt for the cheaper more readily accessible wood.

Having spent over 35 years working as a Chef, with 25 as a certified
Executive Chef with stints in East, Southwest, Northwest with
Doubletree, Sheraton, and Hilton. I think I know what woods are used
for cooking and why.

You think you do? OK, tell me.

Only a fool would make a statement like "aromatic
is the way to go" or "any wood can be used"

Well, Mr. Executive, it is in fact my opinion that aromatic is the way
to go for salmon. I like it better than Western Cedar, Alder, and
Apple. That's a fact. That comment was furthermore in response to
George, who questioned whether I meant aromatic or the more commonly
used Western Cedar. If you want to get in a dander about that, then
knock yourself out. If your opinion differs, fine. If you want to call
others fools for not sharing your opinion, really, who's the fool?

If your panties are more wadded up because of the latter statement
("any wood can be used"), let me clarify: I meant most American woods,
which have historically, anthropologically been used or experimented
with as cooking utensils, specifically using the planking method. You
are of course free to disagree with that statement of fact, but we
would verify it from historians and anthropologists (not Executive
Chefs).

The reason no one uses it
has nothing to do with providers, its because Chefs like good reviews
and don't like to kill people.

Right. Now show me the bad reviews and deaths that resulted from using
aromatic cedar, and you'll begin to show that you know what you're
talking about. I'll even settle for one (even just one!) scientifically
validated study that claims to demonstrate that aromatic cedar is toxic
for plank cooking.

snip irrelevant comment about cutting boards

Just because you are using it and have found a few poor sods to agree
with you means nothing.

Now you've really hurt my feelings. Being an Executive Chef and all....

Just the fact you are posting and asking for advise about what effect
heat will have on glue and cooking, speaks volumes to your culinary
knowledge.

Well, you've got me dead to rights there. I mean, me not being an
Executive Chef and all, I guess I had no business asking a question
about it.

Oh, and the fact that you didn't answer the question speaks a tome or
two.

Stick to woodworking I can only hope you know more about that.

Probably good advice (note the spelling there). I'll return the favor
and suggest you stay in the kitchen and not try logic.