Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.engr.joining.welding

Default Uses for Old UPSes

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 15:52:36 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Not entirely true, the few lucky people who have been able to find
honest, reliable mechanics do tend to speak highly of them.

Only those who have the sense to know the value of finding and keeping
a good mechanic (or any other tradesman/proffessional) There are fewer
of THEM out there than there are honest reliable mechanics.

It just wasn't fun any more after 25 years - and its gotten a whole
lot worse in the last 15 or more years.

Remember that the people bringing in the cars in the last 15 years or so
as you have noted, are the parents (or now their children) from the
generation that has deluded themselves into the belief that mechanical
trades (dirty jobs) are somehow devoid of education and skill and have
actively discouraged their children from having any interest in such
things.

This delusion of the PYVs (plastic yuppie vermin) is furthered by the
increasing complexity of cars and the thought that the grease monkeys
couldn't possibly understand anything about computers so they must just
be swapping parts until things magically start working.

And I got out of the mechanics trade and into the computer service
world - - -.

It's only going to get worse too...

That's what I decided 17 years ago. And I was right.

Now everybody's kid wants to be a computer tech instead of a mechanic
- and for the same reason kids wanted to be mechanics 40 years ago. 40
years ago the "gearheads" wanted to be mechanics to fool around with
their first love - the CAR.
Now the "computer nerds" want to be able to play with THEIR first love
- the Computer / Game console/ Whatever.
And they will work for almost nothing just to be able to do it. and
their method of repair??? "swapping parts until things magically start
working"

Time for a THIRD career?? (4th if you include teaching)

Pete C.