Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Hill

Default propane heat safety and price

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 19:57:55 -0500, "boubou"
wrote:

We are moving to the country, no NG, so we have to go with propane. I
probably would have choosen oil if I could have but the house we got is
propane.
I wondered about the safety of LP.
The BTU for LP being lower than NG, with NG going up all the time, would you
say LP prices are similar?
considering all the extra charges of NG like : delivery to you, storage,
monthly fee etc....these prices are probably not reflected with LP so we'd
think the price would be cheaper.

Definitely more expensive than ng. Delivery trucks and terminals cost
money . One advantage is that if you get a big enough tank you can
avoid fall and winter price spikes. Many sellers also offer contract
pricing which can help as well.

As far as safety goes, most of the houses that blow up are ng houses.
Propane settles, which could be a problem if you had a leak. If you
smell gas pay attention. I have never heard of a problem with water
heaters in basements, we have ours there.