Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Default Is glue safe for cedar plank on the BBQ?

hylourgos wrote:
Wrong. But if the answer is so obvious to you, perhaps you'd care to
share its rationale?

I won't hold my breath.

Not sure what this means, but every recipe I ever seen that uses cedar
plank specifies untreated cedar plank.

"Untreated" doesn't include chemical treatment of any kind including glue.

Any urethane product contains MDI and/or TDI and this includes foam used
in furniture or poly adhesive.

MDI and TDI are both full hazmat chemicals requiring self contained air
supply masks (an air bottle strapped on your back or equal) if are are
near the stuff.

You also need full hazmat suits.

These are both very nasty chemicals that we supply instrumentation for
tanks that manufacturers use to contain it.

You want cedar planking, then use untreated cedar shake shingles which
while very pretty, are also a real fire hazard.

Best use for them is planked food, not roofs.

Now take your meds like a good boy and go back to sleep.

Lew