Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Default Is glue safe for cedar plank on the BBQ?

hylourgos wrote:
: I have some smaller pieces of scrap (aromatic) cedar that I'd like to
: glue up to make planks large enough for cooking fish on the grill. The
: way I typically use these planks is to line the bottom of the plank
: with foil, place the planked fish on the second level over medium heat
: of a gas grill (@ 350-400? inside the hood) for around 20 min. The
: plank never chars, but can discolor from the heat on the bottom. The
: planks are reusable for about 20 trips to the grill or so.

: Can thoroughly cured glue contaminate the fish in any way? I was
: thinking of using polyurethane, just because I have some left over, but
: otherwise Titebond II.

: Glue Chemists encouraged to reply.

Forget the glue. Aromatic cedar is NOT the right stuff to use to emulate
Pacific NW salmon planking, For that, you want western red or white cedar,
which is a very different thing from eastern aromatic cedar.

I imagine fish cooked on closet-liner cedar would taste pretty awful.

-- Andy Barss