Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default $200 Harbor Freight Bandsaw Review

I also have one of the $169 HF bandsaws.

I did try it with the original Chines motor for about 10 minutes before
the motor started actually smoking.

However, I do have a policy: If I buy something from HF, I assume it
will be a "HF self-assembly rebuild kit", regardless of whatever "it"
is -- so I was ready to go with a 1/2 HP 1725rpm motor, mounted in the
appropriate frame to swap in place of the Chinese motor, before I got
the HF saw home! I swapped the motor in -- 20 minutes work. I also
had to re-assemble the upper wheel bearing assembly to get the
alignment right -- 10 minutes work.

That did it. It's now very solid, and I've now done quite a lot of
work using the saw quite reliably and without any complaints from it.

The total price $169 + $50 for the new motor = $219. I consider that
quite reasonable. And I even have a motor-shaped paperweight to show
for the effort!