Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

Default Roofing repair after Wilma

After Wilma came through my barrel tiled roof were badly damaged. Some of
the tiles on the edges were broken, most of the ridge tiles were lifted and
moved. Many rows of tiles were lifted out of place, originally they were
cememted to the tar paper with nlobs of concrete cement underneath, now the
cement and concrete tiles are separated and moved. I can see the lighter
color of the tiles that used to be under the adjacent tiles.

Now the insurance adjuster came through and only calculated the material and
labor to replace those tiles that were actually cracked and broken. They
did not include any provisions for reinstalling the displaced tiles. Do
they expect the loose tiles to be just left there "sitting" on the tar
paper? I have a section of vinyl fences that got blown off about 60 linear
feet. I recovered most of the pieces and started to put them back myself
about 50% done. But some of the pieces I can't put back myself and the
fence post are all out of alignment with the fence gate saging and hardware
missing. Their repair estimate was 2 men for 2 days at $19.95 per hour.

For this reason their calculation came just under my deductable of $10,000.
Is this typical? Should I appeal or just eat the cost, if I appeal and they
increase the cost and end up having to pay me, they might drop me next year.
Between a rock and a hard place.

MC