Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Laminate vs. solid oak?

"tiny dancer" wrote in message
Any opinions as to which way to go? I originally wanted solid, unfinished
oak but dh is telling me there are types of flooring that is *hardwood*
but
prefinished? I'm not sure that would be called *laminate*? He's not here
right now for me to ask. The only reason I'm hesitating on the unfinished
solid oak, is the amount of time it takes to install and poly it a number
of
coats. That means we and the dogs will have to locate elsewhere for
probably close to a week?

There are at least four types of wood style flooring.

Unfinished hardwood, such as the oak you mention. (many other woods
available too http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com/flooring/display.html ) Real
hardwood is my choice of best quality, 100+ year longevity. IMO, the "BEST")

Pre finished hardwood. Similar to above, but with a factory finish. (I
don't know a lot about it in use)

Engineered hardwood. Like a plywood base with a nice finished wood on top.
Very durable, easy to DIY install. See examples at www.mannington.com I
put that in my family room and like it very much. It is over concrete so it
is a good choice for that.

Laminate. This is a plastic material. Some look like plastic, others look
close to real wood but some simulate marble or granite. Very durable,
cleanable. www.wilsonart.com I have this on a stairway and foyer and has
been for over 10 years. Still looks like new. I'd use the engineered wood
if I was doing it today.