Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

Default Recessed Lighting Problems?

"Jimboat" wrote in message

I have a new home construction with an insulated cathedral ceiling.
Should I be hesitant to use the ICAT recessed lighting housings? I
know the literature says they are ok for insulated ceilings, but I've
also heard that teh heat-overload sensors can repeatedly kick-out if
the housings build up too much heat? Since i can't easily get to the
ceiling after installation, it has me worried. Is this really a
problem?

--
Jimboat

The insulation contact recessed light fixtures are normally rated for a
maximum of 75 watts each. If you put a larger bulb in them the thermal
cutout will shut it off until it cools down. If you want to use non IC
rated fixtures in order to have more light, you will need to cut the
insulation back so that it is 3" away from each fixture.

It is better to put the light fixtures in a cathedral ceiling now during
construction. It is much more difficult after the house is finished. BTW
if you cannot get to the ceiling after installation, how do you plan to
change the light bulbs?

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv