Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

Default T5 vs. T8 fluorescent lights

Ricky Robbins wrote:

I'm also looking to light a shop (24 X 25 X 8' ceiling), and in
reading an article on workshop lighting, it suggested 80-100 fc for
old fogies (40+) like myself for a woodworking shop.

snip

The 8' ceiling is the controlling factor in the above application.

Use 1 watt per square foot for 100 FC maintained.

24 x 25 = 600

600/40 = 15, 40 watt lamps.

I'd probab;y use 16 lamps in 4 rows of 4 each.

That will provide about 6 ft spacing between rows which id probably
about max.

BTW, those calculations were based on old lamps. Todays lamps provive
same lumens for less watts.

It's the 16, 4 ft long lamps that is important.

HTH

Lew