Dale Randall

Default slowing my drill press

I want to pass along a tip my wife's 80 year old uncle showed me in his
work shop. It was simply an old wash machine motor mounted vertically on
drill press so that pulley on motor lined up with 4 speed pulley on
drill press motor. The regular motor is not turned on but is turned by
aux. motor. giving quite a speed reduction. I am now rigging one up on
my drill press to slow down drill for over 3/8 " drilling. Aux. motor
will be fasten to 1 1/4 pipe that will slide over smaller pipe with a
pin to hold it at right height for pulley size I want to use. A spring
will keep tension on belt. For regular drilling of smaller holes the
regular motor will be turned on to use. I think the aux. motor just
runs idle. If not I will just unbelt it. This is what I posted in 1998 and since
then have used it several times with good success. Dale