Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

Default Does such a beast exist?

JessicaG wrote:
Our unheated basement used to be warmed by the residual heat from our
old furnace. We got a newer furnace and now the basement is somewhat
chilly. We have hot water pipes that wrap around the ceiling that
provides heat to the first floor baseboard radiators. As a simple fix
is there some product that we can wrap around the pipes to take some
of the chill out of the basement? Thanks for any advice!

Come again? You want to wrap something around the pipes circulating hot
water to the baseboard radiators for the floor above? To increase heat in
the basement? You have it backwards. If you wrap insulation around the
pipes you reduce the amount of heat given off and the basement will get
even colder!

You should talk to your HVAC vendor about adding radiator(s) in the
basement (with its own control) that you can use to warm things up in an
amount you determine.

Something you could do yourself would be to improve insulation down there.
You should probably do both. The heat from new radiators won't be free so
insulating will reduce how much is needed. Keep in mind the heat given off
from the old furnace wasn't free either.