Posted to rec.woodworking
Duane Bozarth

Default Oak stair treads - Help Please

Tom H wrote:

The wife want me to remove the carpeted stairs in our home and replace it
with oak stair treads.

She wants to re-carpet the center of the stairs with the oak showing on each
side.

I am wondering if I could use a good quality oak veneer plywood with a solid
oak bullnose.

The oak will not be walked on with the center carpet.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

You _can_ although I personally don't like to do it that way as it only
takes one ding once to screw up the thin ply veneer and it's a bear to
repair. To save cost in such an installation, some use oak only for the
two ends that show and just plain ply or stair tread in the middle.
Note that stair tread is normall thicker than just 3/4" ply so you'll
want to match existing thickness to keep the rise/run the same.