spitfire2

Default Survival Steam Engine Question

"Richard W." wrote:

"David L Peterson" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:09:06 -0500, David L Peterson
wrote:

The only criteria is that it be easy to assemble from common
materials, capable of running an automotive generator (at the least)
and can be done with minimal tools, or simple machine tools. If it can
be scaled up for larger gennys/line shafts, that would be a plus.

Thanks in advance, let the fun begin.

Gunner

I'd have to say that If I found myself in that situation I would also
go the alcohol route. Here's a thought though. initailly if I were
unprepared I'd do like someone mentioned and run like a honda
generator on alcohol. But, if ou think about it modern high RPM
engines will wear out, they don't use babbit bearings, hard to upkeep
when you can't get new parts. I think ideal would be to revert to
something like an old hit and miss engine (prefereably a pair of them
so you w9ould still have power while working on one of them). With
modest tools you could keep them running indefinitely. Probably could
be made more efficient, adjust the compression ratio, maybe modern IC
driven ignition (could always keep the old magnito on hand).

The old magneto or point distributor would be the way to go. I would want to
stay away from any type of electronic ignition system. We are talking
survival here and if it came to nuclear weapons then everything with an
electronic ignition wouldn't work. Also it wouldn't help to go down to the
parts store, because the magnetic flux would have ruined all the new parts
sitting on the shelf. Any pre 1972 car with points would quit when the blast
went off, but all you would have to do is restart the engine. Anything newer
would need a tow truck to get it home. Assuming you could find a tow truck
that still ran.
I ran into a guy who had a real survivalist mentality and all his cars and
trucks were diesels. He also said he had 13,000 gallons of heating oil
stored up to run them on. Said he topped off his tanks every year in the
spring when heating oil prices went down.
I have been wondering how hard it would be to make a press to get oil from
corn or beans to use for fuel in a diesel engine? Any one ever try this?

Richard W.

For corn or sunflower oil - ask the French - they grow millions of acres of the
plants for cooking oil. I think plenty use it in their cars, as most of France
uses diesel, not petrol in cars. They don't tax it like we do

There have been reports in the press and on TV of folk in South Wales using
waste cooking oil mixed with their diesel. It was found out by the exhaust
smell! The tax authorities are NOT amused, and there was talk of the people
being prosecuted for tax evasion..

Dave.