John Flanagan

Default Survival Steam Engine Question

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:17:47 GMT, "Vaughn"
wrote:

"Walter Daniels" wrote in message
om...

Actually, I have been thonking about this since it first came up. A
mVW, or other small(sort of) *air cooled* engine, would be the best
base. Feedingh steam through the intake and outlet valves, while
venting through the spark plug hole.

The intake valve is facing the wrong way so this scheme would only work
for very low steam pressures. Think about it; the valve spring would have
to be strong enough to hold the intake valve shut against steam pressure.
That is why most such schemes put steam into the spark plug hole. Either
way, you really have to do some design work on the intake valve problem to
make a practical engine, not as easy as just changing the cam.

I'm pretty sure you could ever get the engine to be a two stroke
without regrinding the camshaft no matter which way you do it. The
timing just isn't right. Intake opens on a downstroke while the
exhaust opens on an upstroke. You can switch this around but they'd
one would always be wrong.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get.
So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.