asalcedo asalcedo is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars
Here in the UK many of the desk lamps I can buy nowadays take a bulb
with an Ediscon Screw fitting. Also many wall lights for outdoor use
(sometimes with a PIR detector) take an ES fitting bulb.

Until recently all I ever needed for a general purpose light bulb was
a bayonet fitting. Now ES fittings seem to be appearing!
Pictures: http://www.bltdirect.co.uk/base.htm

Is there a particular advantage of the ES fitting over the bayonet
fitting in these sorts of applications?
There is one situation where an ES fitting is clearly superior: Bulbs subject to shocks and vibrations, like in a handheld inspection lamp.

The wobble of the BC fitting added to the shocks and vibrations will reduce the life of the bulb to only a few days, if at all. With ES fitting the bulb is more securely fastened to the lamp and will last much longer.

Antonio