Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default 23 foot span

"Ken Korona" wrote in message
I have a set of architect drawn plans for a house. There's an A-Frame
section in the middle with vaulted ceiling (i.e. no 2nd floor) in the

front
and a 2nd floor loft in the back. The plans specify the use of 3x10s on

12"
centers. These would be 23ft long with no support other than at the ends.
Seems to me that's pushing it a bit too far and the floor for the loft

will
be very spongy. Any thoughts?

Also, there is a bathroom in that loft and I really prefer to put down
ceramic tile. I'm concerned that a flor that has much deflection will

cause
grout joints to constantly crack.

Thanks

3x10"s?????? Is this engineered lumber or a typo?

Just because you have a set of plans does not mean they will meet the local
building code if there is one, everywhere in the world. I had a friend that
bought a set of engineered drawings "guaranteed to pass permit inspection
any where". Took 7 months of changes before he got his permit. The plans
company FINALLY made all the necessary changes. Only cost my buddy an extra
$7k for the foundation and extra review fees. The foundation drawn did not
allow for frost in the ground.