Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How long does a tube of unopened caulk last?

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 07:36:16 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

"m Ransley" wrote in message
There are expiration dates, old silicone wont bond or cure right, not
worth the headache tyring.

I have since quit buying more caulk than I need to save time. Now, I buy
what I need when I need, and will save it for a bit. But if it is more than
about six months old, I just go get new. I want to be sure it is going to
work, and that is a small sacrifice to pay rather than having it sit in my
shop for a long time and be hard or not stick.

Steve

Yeah, but how do you know the stuff you just bought is not old?
I bought 4 tubes of silicone caulk, used them immediately (or tried to
use them). I used part of the first tube and found it was junk. The
stuff would not dry and just made a big cleanup mess. So, I opened
the second and third tubes, more junk. I tool all of them, including
my receipt back to the store, and told the store manager to open the
4th while I was there. The store manager insisted that if the caulk
comes out of the tube, there is nothing wrong with it. I explained
the fact it would not harden, they told me there is nothing they could
do about that, and I should contact the manufacturer. I contacted the
mfg and they asked me for a code number on the tubes. I gave them
these numbers and they told me the stuff was expired, and was the
fault of the store where I purchased it, and I should contact them. I
explained they told me to contact the mfg. However I did contact the
store again, and all they did was tell me to go back to the mfg.

In other words, no one would stand behind the caulk. By this time I
was so ****ed off about the run-around, that I tossed it in the trash.
However, I wrote a letter to my local lumberyard (where I bought the
caulk), and told them why I will never do business with them again.
Then I wrote to the mfg of the caulk and told them why I will never
buy their caulk again. I never heard back from either.

That lumberyard used to get quite a bit of business from me. They
lost all of it for about $15 worth of caulk. GE Silicone lost any
future purchases from me.