Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Mitsubishi VS-5043 - Raster Problems, 3 Curved RGB lines

Hi Folks,

I have a mitsubishi Vs-5043 bought around 1997. Couple of months ago,
it started having raster problems. Picture disappears, three curved
red, green, blue lines appear in the middle of the screen. If I turn
off the TV and turn it on after a few minutes, the picture comes back
for around 5-10 minutes but, it disappears and the curved lines appear
again.

I opened up the front and back covers and looked for any obvious
problems but could not find anything glaring (like leaking coolants,
burnt components).

As this seemed to be caused by a over-heated component, I put a fan in
front of the TV and it ran fine for more than a hour and half and did
not lose the picture.

Any suggestions/wisdom? ( for finding the offending component(s) and
not plan-b: fixing a nice fan on the back of the TV!)

M. P.