Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

Default trimming masonite doors questions

I have not received anything from masonite.com yet regarding my message. I
figured there would be some carpenters in here who might know how much I can
trim from these doors' four sides.

I did not ask which type of paint should I buy to finish these: oil or
latex, or does it matter, because I will have white semi-gloss CIL oil for
the jambs, mouldings and casing already, but not any latex.

There are two things I forgot to mention in the original message:

Three of the four doors have between 5/16" and 5/8" interference throughout
the doors swing path at the conrete floor, something not covered fully in
the question.
Hopefully I can get HD to cut the side(s) on their panel saw. However one
employee said they got crap for doing this - I didn't ask why. My local
store was very good at cutting all my jambs from a 4' x 8' sheet using my
AutoCAD dimensioned drawing.

Second, to avoid splintering I wonder if I should:
A) put a strip of masking tape centered along the line of cut
B) make a score with a knife along the cut line
C) both A & B above

If I were to score a line, even though I am confident that the panel saw
and/or operator is good to 1/64" I believe that anywhere around 1mm or 2mm
on the keep side from the cut line would accomplish the desired result. Am I
correct?

THE MESSAGE:
I have roughed openings for four of your 6-panel (I believe they are
"hollow", not by my choice) grain-simulated primed doors I plan to buy at
Home Depot here in Toronto. Without any jambs or pre-mortising. One of four
doors is bi-fold. I am planning on using ¾" jambs, thus leaving 30" widths
in all but the bi-fold (leaving 24" or 24-1/2").

The basement concrete floor is completely unfinished and tiles are probably
next. Everything should be very level because I just made it. I do not know
exactly how much to deduct at the bottom. Maybe 1"? In the 76" high door,
the top jamb will be attached directly under a metal I-beam, so there is no
room for height adjustment. There is very little room for height adjustment
in the other 3 openings either.

26" x (69-1/2" to 78-1/2") - the bi-fold, in bathroom

31-1/2" x 77-1/4" - the bathroom door which will have a rug and tiles to
clear

31-1/2" x 76"

31-1/2" x 73-1/2"

So if you take 2" off the height of the bathroom doors and 1-3/4" from the
last two to account for the planned ¾" top jamb and floors you get these
finished door sizes:

67-1/2" to 76-1/2" (24" x bi-fold)

75-1/4" (30" x)

74-1/4" (30" x)

71-3/4" (30" x)

I have just guessed how much to trim off the total height. Can you be more
specific? Also I am not sure which widths are available for the bi-fold
door. I hope I can get a 24" standard width.

The biggest question is about trimming these doors, which are available in
78" height. How much can I trim from the top and bottom specifically, not so
much the hinge side and strike side. And given these exact heights do I need
to worry about trimming both the top and bottoms at the same time to
accommodate? I know how to tuck the inserts back into the door from the
trimmed off ends. I don't know if you can buy doors any smaller in height
than 78" or if they are custom-orderable if need be.

And also if it is advisable to have Home Depot put them on their panel saw
to do the trimming. My only blade is a combination type on a Mastercraft
table saw. I have a jig saw, but I would have to rent or buy a circular saw,
and probably would not (but could) buy a special blade specifically for this
one time.

The widths I believe are standard. I am not sure if there should be any
width clearance given between the jamb and door when installed. Should there
be, and is it already made into the door for an exact 30" or 24" opening? Do
I have some sanding to do? Should I try to put the 1-2 degree angle on the
hinge side, and 3-5 degree on the strike side, or do they come with one? Are
they necessary?

P.S. I was told that pre-finished white is not available in the doors I want
here in Toronto. Is this true? It is primed only?