Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting
OG

Default UK question: ES light bulb better than bayonet?

"David Lee" wrote in
message . uk...
Zak wrote in message
.. .
David Lee wrote:

One very nasty DISadvantage is that if an ES fitting has been
incorrectly wired then the cap will be live and it is possible to get a
mains shock whilst changing a bulb

Decent ES fittings have two fingers in the bottom, one contacting center
and the other contacting the base from below.

After the first quarter turn out, the base is isolated. The fitting is
tall enough to make touching the base very unlikely.

These must have been standard since at least 30 years.

Maybe in Holland (I assume that's where ...news.tweaknews.nl... means you
are).
However my experience is very different - only Tuesday evening I had to
check some ES lamps in a school hall very much younger than 30 years and
there was about 1/2 inch of cap standing proud of the fittings. Turned
out not to be a problem as it happened, since some clot had turned off the
circuit breaker for the lighting circuit!

It sounds like you were 'checking' the electrics without knowing whether the
circuit was on or off. So who is the 'clot' ?