Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

Default Dishwasher water temperature?

I have a 20 year old General Electric Potscrubber 1200 dishwasher.

It does not seem to be doing as good a job in cleaning dishes at it used to
do. The spinner is spinning and the pump is pumping OK. The setting is for
"Normal"

The water at my adjacent kitchen faucet is 130 F. After the dishwasher has
filled initially (starting with 130 F water), the temp in the tub is 120 F
(because the tub was cold).

After it has been washing for 5 minutes, I checked the temp in the tub again
and it is still 120 F.

There is a heating coil above the bottom of the tub.

Isn't this coil supposed to come on and heat the water from 120 F to 140 F??
Is 120 F hot enough to do a good job washing the dishes? 120 F would
certainly not be hot enough to sterilize!

Thanks for any input

--
Walter
www.rationality.net