Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leif Thorvaldson

Default LDD in the uk

"Sniperborg" wrote in message

Hi

Can any one reccomend a LDD the is available in the uk.
Would the granules such as "finish" be any good or does it have to come
in a liquid state.
From what i've read so far about LDD, you rough out your bowl soak for
4+ hours, then let dry say 4 hrs and i should be able to turn and
finish, wax/oil varnhish etc. Please correct me if this is wrong.
Is there any wood that doesn't work well and also what works best
TIA
Mark

The simple answer is the type of LDD you need apparently isn't available in
the UK. You have some Costcos, but not sure that the LDD storebrand they
use is the same one as in the U.S.

Some comments:
==Folks who have tried granules have reported that form of LDD doesn't
work.
====I have not heard back from UKers if they have found a satisfactory
substitute.
===Soaking in LDD isn't necessary. I cut a blank from a green log and turn
it immediately (if not immediately place it in the solution until you are
ready to turn it -- no time limit for soaking).
==== If you don't finish turning the object, return it to the solution
until you are ready to do so.
====Do not dry the turned item prior to applying finish. It should be
almost dry from your final cutting and sanding. Apply the finish
immediately.
====Read the attached "Treatise." (Sent by separate email) Any questions?
Email me!

Leif