Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

Default shop made reamer described by Gingery

wrote in message
ups.com...
I found some NOS idler gears for my Rockwell 11's quick change on ebay.
One fits pretty sweet, the bore on the other's a little small. Dave
Gingery describes a way of making reamers that sounds doable - make an
acute bevel cut across a piece of drill rod or crs.

I only need it for one bronze bushing - think it'll work? Anybody
made/used such a tool?

Yes, they work. They were used a century ago for reaming the holes in master
watch plates and so on -- then the highest-quality toolmaking work done
anywhere.

I used to make them a lot, when I was doing a lot of hobby machining. I also
made plain D-bit reamers and drills; they work, too. Worn-out or broken
drill bits make good stock for these things, but be aware that the butt-ends
of drill bits aren't hardened much, if at all. And the butt-ends are
undersize.

--
Ed Huntress