Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

Default Dishwasher - dishes in top rack dirty: THE ANSWER!

On 24 Nov 2005 19:30:33 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

There is some type of grease which dishwasher detergent fails to
dissolve, and it does build up in the pipework eventually blocking
it. You can avoid this by either running the machine with a
dishwasher cleaner occasionally, or by adding one drip of washing
up liquid to each wash, which does dissolve this mistery grease.

Hi,

If the DW does a _cold_ prewash, IME it's possible to use a _lot_ more
than one drop as a prewash detergent without it foaming excessively,
and it helps degrease the plates etc for the main wash. I just keep
adding 10 drops at a time until it starts to foam.

I'd expect the powder DW detergents work by dispersing grease with the
aid of hot water, however it can then solidify in parts of the machine
if they are cooler than the water.

cheers,
Pete