Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting
Ed Sirett

Default UK question: ES light bulb better than bayonet?

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 11:02:19 +0000, Lars wrote:

Here in the UK many of the desk lamps I can buy nowadays take a bulb
with an Ediscon Screw fitting. Also many wall lights for outdoor use
(sometimes with a PIR detector) take an ES fitting bulb.

Until recently all I ever needed for a general purpose light bulb was
a bayonet fitting. Now ES fittings seem to be appearing!
Pictures: http://www.bltdirect.co.uk/base.htm

Is there a particular advantage of the ES fitting over the bayonet
fitting in these sorts of applications?

In my experience both ES and BC holders each have their own disadvantages.

Poor quality BC holders often deform on the lugs.
ES holders can be wired wrongly and make it very easy to get a shock when
changing bulbs. ES holders are notorious for jamming.

Over all I'd say quality BCs are best.
Cheap BCs are no better than ES holders.