Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting
Pop

Default UK question: ES light bulb better than bayonet?

Something's pretty fishy about this post. I spent a lot of time
in Wales and London both, and never came across a bayonet bulb on
anything run from the Mains.
I did see bayonets on some lab equipment in Wales, but those
weren't run from the mains. I think we're being led down the
proverbial path here, or:

Perhaps the OP would/could explain further?

My take is, if a desk lamp takes a bayonet, it's not run from the
mains; there is a transformer or ballast of some sort in that
appliance. And desk lamps fit that category.
Maybe the OP is talking about non-mains non-direct connectons.
A lot of outdoor lights, etc. are run on LV via transofrmers et
al.

HTH,
Pop

"PanHandler" wrote in message
.. .
:
: "Lars" wrote in message
: ...
: Here in the UK many of the desk lamps I can buy nowadays take
a bulb
: with an Ediscon Screw fitting. Also many wall lights for
outdoor use
: (sometimes with a PIR detector) take an ES fitting bulb.
:
: Until recently all I ever needed for a general purpose light
bulb was
: a bayonet fitting. Now ES fittings seem to be appearing!
: Pictures: http://www.bltdirect.co.uk/base.htm
:
:
: Is there a particular advantage of the ES fitting over the
bayonet
: fitting in these sorts of applications?
:
: Here in the U.S. 'screw base' bulbs are the norm, and I've
never seen
: bayonet base bulbs made for home lighting. It would be very
awkward to touch
: the base when installing them. The only common application we
have for
: bayonet type bulbs is in the automotive field.
:
: