Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

Default Wooden windows won't fully shut

In article ,
says...
I'm really talking about the ones at the top which open outwards about a
horizontal axis (I don't know what they are called, sorry).

opening toplight

It seems, to me, to be a common problem that they will not fully shut -
well, none of mine will. So :-

a) If it is as common as I think, why won't they shut? Too many layers of
paint? Wood has expanded? Other?

Hinge might have bent or worn.

b) What should have been done, or not done, to prevent this problem?

Remove old paint before applying new. Maintain the paint so that water
penetration doesn't become a problem. Oil the hinges

c) What is the most cost- and/or effort- effective way of curing the fault?

Remove the toplight, strip the paint from it (and the bit of frame that
it sits in, if that has very thick or flaking paint), check for rot and
repair as necessary, replace hinges if needed, check for fit and plane
where necessary, repaint and refit.

d) What, if anything, can or should I do to stop it happening in the
future?

See above.