Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default Coax cable carries electrical current? What is wrong?

Actually, it's not unusual to find small currents in coax. Most
signal amplifiers in fact, use the coax to power the amplifier so
the amp can be placed close to the antenna and the power supply
at the equipment.
It's also subject to fantom voltages, just as power wiring is.
Try putting any light bulb (a nightlight is easy to use) across
the voltage: If the voltage goes away, it's phantom power. If
the voltage doesn't completely go away, then it bears looking
into a little more. My bet is it'll go away completely.

"Mark" wrote in message
ups.com...
:
: mm wrote:
: On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:51:52 -0500, "miamicuse"
: wrote:
:
: I got a good quality one to four video splitter so tonight I
got up to the
: attic and disconnected the old splitter. Nothing unusual.
:
: Then I connect the new cable IN, then one by one I connect
the cable OUT.
: When I get to the last one I felt a strong tinkling on my
finger, you know
: when you rub your shoe on the carpet a few times and go
touch a metal
: railing? Yes that feeling...I dropped the splitter. Is it
static? I don't
: know. So I touched the splitter, which at that time has the
one IN cable
: and three OUT cables connected, and nothing, it's OK. Then
I let go of the
: splitter and touch the last coax cable connector -
nothing...so I touched
: the splitter with my left hand and the remaining cable
connector with my
: right hand, yes I feel it again. What is going on?
:
:
:
: You are probably feeling the normal small amount of leakage
current
: from the VCR flowing to the grounded CATV line.
:
: If it was a small tingle and didn't knock you on your butt, its
normal.
:
: Mark
: