Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting
PanHandler

Default UK question: ES light bulb better than bayonet?

"Lars" wrote in message
Here in the UK many of the desk lamps I can buy nowadays take a bulb
with an Ediscon Screw fitting. Also many wall lights for outdoor use
(sometimes with a PIR detector) take an ES fitting bulb.

Until recently all I ever needed for a general purpose light bulb was
a bayonet fitting. Now ES fittings seem to be appearing!
Pictures: http://www.bltdirect.co.uk/base.htm

Is there a particular advantage of the ES fitting over the bayonet
fitting in these sorts of applications?

Here in the U.S. 'screw base' bulbs are the norm, and I've never seen
bayonet base bulbs made for home lighting. It would be very awkward to touch
the base when installing them. The only common application we have for
bayonet type bulbs is in the automotive field.