Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default 'Lead free' soldering kit ?

On 25 Nov 2005 05:01:22 -0800, wrote:

I note that there are now 'lead free' solutions and just wondered how
they worked re basic electronc kit constuction / soldering please?

Lead free will soon be mandatory for all commercial production and
availability of lead based solders will lessen.

Ok..

A good place to start is the Farnell website
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/be...solder/faq.jsp

If that link doesn't work, click on the RoHS link on the homepage and
then the solder focus link.

It did and thanks very much for that .. ;-)

You will need a slightly higher temperature iron, but I suspect many
are already suitable. If buying new, like you, I would go for a 25W
model and would recommend the Antex XS for which bits and elements are
widely available.

Ok, 18w too small as an 'all rounder' you think?

One thing to be aware of is that the fluxes used can be more aggressive
and can wear the bits away. Coated bits are available for use with lead
free.

Ok ..

It also much harder to get a nice shiny looking joint with lead
free solder.

;-(

Alternatively, just buy in a stock of lead based solder, assuming the
13yr old isn't being used as slave labour to produce things for sale on
the open market!

LOL! I've probably got more full fat solder here than he's ever likely
to use in his lifetime .. ;-)

If they become proficient and interested enough then a nice temperature
controlled iron may be on the cards for next christmas.

Good point / thought. And I note the 'If' (something you can't seem to
predict with many of todays kids).

You should be wary of the flux fumes just as much as the lead
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg248.pdf see my other thread about fume
extraction.

Doh! Why is it all the nice smells are bad for us .. solder flux,
petrol, tar, creosote ... sigh

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I have learnt to keep quiet about some smells though ..

Wife "What do you think of my new perfume"?
Me sniff "Smells like fly spray" ..